Tableau Desktop is a self-service business analytics and data visualization, anybody can use. From creating charts, reports, formatting them, Differentiate Tableau Server and Desktop, putting them together as dashboard all has been done on Tableau Desktop. All your development is done in the Tableau Desktop. You can perform all queries without using an even single line of code. To know the difference between Tableau Server and Desktop read this whole blog.

Tableau Server:

Tableau Server provides high security to your data and it can help you insert with live interactions dashboard. It is the most secure way to transfer the Tableau worksheets.

Tableau reaches self-service capabilities for your company, you want to do one thing i.e. you need to connect it to your environment. While Tableau Server and Tableau Desktop meet capabilities of end-user development. They are some slight difference.

Learn more about this technology Tableau Online Training  in this overview

When is it time to bring in Tableau Server?Differentiate Tableau Server and Desktop

Tableau Server is a sharing tool, it can be used to share data with high security. Just we know two scenarios why we need Tableau server.

Suppose you have a highly controlled environment and high growth- and you want more collaboration, governance, security, and performance.

If you want to create a data visualization for any organization Tableau Server is helpful to this requirement. Tableau Server is a fully secured. It safely distributed interactive data in web or websites. Depends on the core licensing the price of Tableau Server will decide.

What is the difference between Tableau server and Tableau Desktop?

Tableau Server is installed on a Windows server and users can access via a browser. Tableau Desktop is installed on the laptop. Listed below functionally that is not present in Tableau Server and present in Tableau Desktop and some capabilities are not present in Tableau Desktop and present in Tableau Server. In this, we discuss some difference between Tableau Server and Desktop.

Difference between the products falls into these categories:

Centralized data source

Collaboration

Security

Mobile applications

Functionality in the authoring environment

Centralized data sources:

In Tableau Server we can publish and maintain metadata and data source thereby creating a “single source of the truth.” In Tableau Desktop when we maintain data source all users can maintain their own copies of the data and metadata- we get different answers from the same query.

Collaboration:

In Tableau Server, 10.x users can edit, publish and create workbooks without the use of Tableau Desktop. These workbooks can be modified and shared by authorized users. By using Tableau Server we can combine workbooks, data sources, and dashboard under one project and centrally managed, remove the error-prone method of emailing links and workbooks.

Security:

Tableau Server is used to published content and help to protect the sensitive data. Administrators can put down users permissions on workbooks, data sources, projects, and views.

Mobile applications:

Users can create device-specific layouts for iPad, Android, and iPhone in Tableau Desktop. In Tableau Server when the dashboard is published users can interact, view and subscribe to the dashboard, it will supply differently for each and every specific device. It will also allow for the content creation and editing on an iPad.

Functionality in the authoring environment:

Tableau Desktop and Tableau Server offer rich authoring environment, they are similar in the functionality. In development perspective, they are a major difference in Tableau Server and Tableau Desktop.  The administrator must give permission to web-edit to users in Tableau Server. Users got permission, they can modify existing workbooks or create new workbooks from the published data source.

We can publish new data source only from Tableau Desktop.

Tableau Server does not support data source editing.

Allocating Tableau Server Licenses vs. Tableau Desktop Licenses:

Tableau Server is a less expensive option for 80% of the Tableau workbook developers. Remaining 20% of the developers modify and add data source they require Tableau Desktop license. For most of the users, Tableau Server is sufficient. I hope you guys get some clarity about the difference between Tableau Server and Desktop.

Recommended Audience :

Software developers

ETL  developers

Project Managers

Team Lead’s

Prerequisites:

Anybody can learn tableau if you have a technical degree with basic coding knowledge. Trainers of OnlineITGuru will teach every topic they are real-time experts. Get more Knowledge join OnlineITGuru for mastering the Tableau Online Course.

 
Drop Us A Query

100% Secure Payments. All major credit & debit cards accepted.